For our guests, Springside Cheese offers a selection of the finest hand-crafted cheeses that deliver nourishment to the body and soul. One of the great benefits of working as an assistant cheesemaker is that you are creating real products that impact people’s lives. You are joining a century-long tradition of producing award-winning classic cheeses using traditional production methods and milk from local dairy producers.
Our cheesemakers have a full appreciation for working in sanitary environments, understand food safety policies, local and federal guidelines and are meticulous about documenting all areas of cheese production. They are eager to learn, have a passion for their communities and take pride in producing safe and delicious cheese.
A typical day in the life of a Springside Cheese Assistant Cheesemaker looks like:
- From farm to fridge, you’re the lead in the entire manufacturing process as well as packaging, shipping and inventory management.
- You’ll assist with training all new employees & interns, including food safety and chemical safety protocols.
- Wisconsin Cheese Maker’s license or acquisition of license within 6 months of employment.
- Solid experience in chemistry, microbiology or culinary studies.
- You must also have a high school diploma or GED equivalent with at least 2 years of experience in production work or physical labor. Internships, volunteer work and side projects count.
The job is for you if:
- Cheese is your second language.
- You can use a pH meter, moisture analyzer, and other technical equipment
- You are flexible and can adapt with ease during busy production periods.
- Your schedule is open to working weekends, holidays and evenings.
- You can Incredible Hulk up to 50lbs, occasionally 80lbs, like its paper and standing for long periods of time is not a challenge.
- You understand good manufacturing and food safety practices
- You can work with required sanitation chemicals
- You think on your feet, like learning new things and can learn quickly. When things change, you know how to roll with the punches.
- You communicate clearly and have an eye for efficiency.
- You pay attention to the details, act when something needs attention and stay focused. Nothing falls through the cracks on your watch.
- You are motivated and will take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference.
- You have a strong ability to juggle more than one responsibility at a time